5.27.2012

I'm a Mormon, I'm tougher than George Foreman.

My BFF and I had many choices come our first Sunday as alumni of Timpview High School.
We could either:
1. Go to Young Women's and pretend that nothing had changed until we turned 18 and left for reals
2. Go to the Singles Ward (which we decided we were NOT ready for)
3. Go to Relief Society
4. Hang out in the library with the librarians who conveniently happen to be both our mothers.


So after much deliberation in the hallways after Sunday School, we were convinced by our favorite former YW leader, Becky Eyre, to go to Relief Society. We would leave the Singles Ward for another day.

Now, if you know my mother or I, you know that we don't much like Relief Society. Actually, I think it's just my mom. But growing up, there was always a bad connotation associated with RS, and looking back, I can't exactly say what was "bad" about it.

I was skeptical about the whole thing, but Becky promised she would sit by Danielle and I during the lesson. They welcomed us and embarrassed us, and everything was going well. But you know what, it wasn't all that bad! They even didn't do their "Good News Minute" which honestly sometimes makes me want to stab forks in my eyes...
There wasn't the constant annoying teenage girls whining in the background.
There weren't immature girls trying to make a point that they were above everyone else by not reciting the YW theme.
There weren't obstinate people refusing to shut up and put their phones away.
And the music was actually in time! Bonus points to them!

It was a good lesson on President Uchtdorf's recent general conference talk "The Merciful Obtain Mercy" and I was just loving the maturity of the whole situation. Seriously. I have waited quite a long time for people to comment using their brains and who actually have experience in life. I wanted to comment so badly, but I didn't feel it was my place as a 17 year old girl who barely graduated high school. It was a humbling because it made my experiences and problems seem minuscule. But I LOVED that! Maybe I actually will go to Relief Society in the future. Because I hear things I need, like this:

"Because we all depend on the mercy of God, how can we deny to others any measure of the grace we so desperately desire for ourselves? My beloved brothers and sisters, should we not forgive as we wish to be forgiven?"

true story 


1 comment:

  1. Thank you, love. You gave me the courage to give relief society a try now. :)

    ReplyDelete